Happy New Year! Yes, I know officially the new year isn’t until January first, however there is something new about this time of year as the seasons change and school resumes. Even if you’re experiencing a heat wave (it’s 90+ degrees where I am today) or the only part of back to school that impacts you is the traffic patterns, there’s still an opportunity to wipe the slate clean and start fresh.
If you set intentions or resolutions back in January and you’ve gotten off track, please don’t berate yourself. I’m confident that you’re doing the best you can in each moment and that’s all each of us can do. Here’s a great opportunity to begin again, so let it be that simple!
In addition to being kind to yourself about any past resolutions, let’s use this time to reset our intentions for the rest of the year. I like the energy behind the word intention, as opposed to goal or resolution, however use the terminology that’s resonates best with you. I invite you to consider how you want to feel and use that as inspiration for your intentions. Those desired feelings will help you determine your personal why. As in why is this intention important or why does it matter? Give yourself time and space to get crystal clear on why you’re setting a particular intention. The activity or action itself is not the intention. Rather the why of a particular activity or action is the intention. Your why will be a powerful motivator if you run into hurdles honoring your intention.
As you create your intentions, consider the following and try to make each intention SMART.
- SPECIFIC: What exactly do you want to achieve? Where? How? When? With whom? Are there conditions or limitations? Why is it important?
- MEASURABLE: Define exactly how you want to feel and what you’ll see when you achieve your intention. How will you know when you’ve accomplished it?
- ACHIEVABLE: How can you honor or accomplish your intention? Is it realistic?
- RELEVANT: Again, why does it matter to YOU? Does it seem worthwhile? Is this the right time?
- TIME-BOUND: Give yourself a deadline. Break it down into small parts. What can you do today? What can you do in a month? What can you do in three months?
I’m excited for you to set your intentions and take conscious, inspired actions to honor them every day. As you move forward, one of the most important parts of honoring intentions or resolutions or goals is to celebrate. All of your efforts count, so don’t skip this part and be sure to celebrate small and big milestones!
As always, I’d love to hear from you. What are your intentions for the rest of 2018? If you find yourself stumbling and would like support, please reach out, I’d be honored to help you.